Determining when it is time to replace the wiring in your home is not easy and may require a thorough assessment to determine. But there are a few clear signs you can spot when your home’s wiring is showing age. As a general rule you should consider getting your wiring professionally inspected if your home is more than 30 years old.
Homes more than thirty years old were built in a time without as strenuous electrical safety requirements, and in an era without a high demand for electricity. With the growth of technology, electrical devices have become more plentiful in the average home, and yearly energy consumption by a household is on the rise
In 1980, the average electricity use for household appliances was approximately 5,421-kilowatt hours (kWh). In 2014, it had increased to 10,812-kilowatt hours (kWh).
In 1997, 29 percent of U.S. households had three TVs, and 35 percent had a computer. In 2014, 44 percent had three TVs, and 85 percent had a computer.
As a home’s electrical wiring ages, issues will begin to develop. From small occurrences to large issues, if you notice any of the following in your home, it is important to call a professional for help. Old wiring can cause larger problems, damage, and even cause a risk of fire.
Blown fuses are a sign that there is a major electrical wiring issue in your home. Whether the cause is from an electrical overload or shorting wires, it is important to get the issue fixed quickly.
Frequently tripping breakers are typically caused when there is a shorting wiring that is causing a loss of electricity in a circuit loop. Many issues can cause a circuit breaker to trip, but no matter the cause it should be repaired with care.
Flickering or dimming lights when appliances are turned on is a strong sign that there is not enough electricity being drawn into a home. Dimming lights can be fixed with bringing additional power into your home or redistributing electrical loops to provide an evener distribution of electricity.
Two-prong outlets should no longer be used in a home’s electrical wiring, for their lack of safety for an electrical short. The third prong offers electrical devices a safe way to transfer unused electricity when a short circuit occurs.
If you are experiencing a burning smell when light switches are turned on, it may be due to an electrical arc forming between connections. These arcs can form over time as electrical connections weaken, fray or loosen. If you smell anything burning, turn off your electrical breaker immediately and inspect the area or call a professional for help.
Aluminum wiring should not be used in a home due to its tendency to wear down over time. Aluminum wiring was used to cut back on costs when copper started to rise in price. However, aluminum heats up, shifts, and corrodes faster when subjected to electrical current, making it an unsafe material to use in a home’s wiring.
Rewiring isn’t something you should put off for months. Once you’ve noticed that your system doesn’t have the capacity to keep up with your power usage, you need to address the issue right away. Contact the team here at Allgood, your reliable San Antonio electrician. We’ll send out one of our expert electricians to assess the situation and give you a completely transparent price estimate.
Why suffer through the inconvenience of an outdated electrical system when you can add value to your property and convenience to your life by a simple wiring upgrade? Don’t wait: contact Allgood Electric today.